Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Why do golf balls have dimples?


Both of these pictures show how dimples on a golf ball create turbulence in the air flow, which reduces the wake behind the ball. This reduces the drag allowing the ball the be hit a lot further than a golf ball without dimples.

The mathematics behind the effects the size, depth, and number of dimples on a golf ball have not been calculated yet.

1. Do you think a golf ball with a fewer amount of larger dimples or a golf ball with more smaller dimples would go further? Why?



2. Do you think a golf ball would fly further with deep or shallow dimples? Explain your answer.

22 comments:

  1. I think that the ball with fewer but larger dimples would go further then the ball with more smaller dimpals because besause it gives the wind a bigger hole to go through then the smaller holes because the holes are really small now and they do not need to be any smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the golfball with the more smaller holes will work more because the smaller holes make more terbulance. I think the shalow dimples will fly farther because they make more terbulance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I think the golf ball with fewer and bigger dimples will go farther. Because more air gets into the dimples.

    2) I think that the golf ball with deeper dimples, would go farther. Because the more air goes into the dimples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1.a golf with fewer dimples would go futher then a golf ball with large with large dimples small torndas would make it go futher.
    2.deep ones because it would make large torandos

    ReplyDelete
  5. the with larger dimples because it has more turbulence. shallow because the air goes faster

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think airplanes shouldnt have dimples, because they already have it, and its wouldnt make a difference if they did????? :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) I think the golf ball with fewer and bigger dimples will go farther. Because more air gets into the dimples.

    2) I think that the golf ball with deeper dimples, would go farther. Because the more air goes into the dimples

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think the ball with the dimples would go farther and faster because it has moreturbulence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i thingk that the golfball with biger holes but not as deep whold not go as far because air whold not sweep as good so smaller and more i thaink whold help or in a way i mite be the same?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) I think smaller dimples would be better because there would be more force.

    2) Shallow because the air can get to it more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.i think the golf ball with fewer dimples would go farther, beacause more air gets in the dimples.

    2.i think it would go farther if it has deep dimples, because the deeper the dimple, the more air would go in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) more smaller dimples because its more aerodynamic.
    2) shallow because golf balls already have shallow dimples so therefore its already more aerodynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1)i think a ball with less dimples would go slower because there are less dimples to "collect" the air
    2)No because the air will not be collected in the dimples

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1)I think that golf balls with smaller dimples would go faster because they are smaller and the smaller the better.

    2)I think that golf balls with shallow holes would go further because big ones would slow it down because they are big.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1) i think that the dimples will go father because of more turbulance.

    2)Shallow because if you look at a regular golf ball you can see how much farther it could go,if it was deep it could make it slower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i thingk that dimles deeper and less dimples wood go as far as more dimples less deep because of difrents of air wood be simular well... i thingk?

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. i think the ball with the small dimples would go farther and faster because you have more wind coming out of it.
    2. i think the shallow dimples cause the wind to go farther.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1)I think the golf ball with fewer and larger dimples would go farther because it has more turbulence.
    2)I think shallow because the air goes faster.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. the golf ball with larger dimples because it has more turbulence. shallow because the air goes faster.

    2.i think the ball with the dimples would go farther and faster because it has moreturbulence.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i think that the one with smaller dimples because if it has more then it will go faster and faurther.

    the shallow one because if its too deep then it will not go as far because the wind might stop it

    ReplyDelete
  21. no because they to much air
    2:shalow holes less air

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1, I think that bigger dimples would make it go faster because the dimples make the golf ball go faster.

    ReplyDelete